It’s time for the usual end-of-the-year-analysis post! 2011 is only 12 hours away now, so I can finally bid 2010 adieu (and maybe even this cold I’ve been battling)!
I have mixed feelings about 2010. A lot of great things happened over the past year, but I am ready to leave it behind to move on to bigger (and hopefully even better) things. This year marked my first full year as a full-time communications professional, and by January I will have been with my company two years. I finally felt settled and confident in my position in 2010, mentored new hires, and was able to shed the “recent college grad” label.
Beyond that, I was able to find love, travel, take important career steps, and spend time with family and friends. Here are some highlights from my past year:
- Added “Social Media Specialist” to my Publicist job title
- Partnered with BohlsenPR, a growing, local public relations agency
- Traveled with a tour group solo to Europe over two weeks (visiting England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France)
- Visited the Ann Frank house, took an Amsterdam canal cruise, wore a dirndl, sampled beer at the famous Hofbrauhaus beer hall, biked the hills of Austria, slept in a renovated jail cell, toured the Forum, Coliseum and Rome, rode a Venetian gondola, toured the Palace of Versailles, and more
- Moved from Bloomington, IN to Indianapolis (and transferred offices)
- Joined PRSA as a working professional
- Attended a Columbus Crew soccer game and visited the Columbus Zoo
- Watched a Kentucky rodeo and toured the Buffalo Trace bourbon distillery
- Attended the weddings of two of my best friends (one in Bismarck, ND)
- Spent a weekend in a cottage at scenic Story, IN
- Traveled to Orlando, FL to man our booth at the AARP conference
- Fainted for the first time
- Explored downtown and had my first rickshaw tour
- Applied to and was accepted into grad school at IUPUI (M.A. in Public Relations program)
I already have some spectacular plans for the new year. Nick and I will be celebrating one amazing year together by going to the Colts vs. Titans game January 2 (Go Colts!). I’ll be starting my grad classes at IUPUI in January, which I’m sure will keep me busy. And, over IUPUI’s spring break–which happens to also be the week of my birthday–Nick and I booked a Western Caribbean cruise that visits the Cayman Islands, Belize, Honduras, Mexico and Miami.
(Some of) My New Year’s Resolutions:
- Blogging more often
- Eating healthier
- Exercising more
- Great social media campaigns/case studies
- Volunteer work
What are some of your resolutions? Was 2010 a good or bad year for you?